Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Nature Cation

Some of the entries on my new nature adventures blog will be scientific.  Other posts will be conversational. This first one is conversational.



It is getting to be that time of year when a person thinks about vacation.    I enjoy socially responsible and ecologically friendly nature-based activities while on vacation.

Last winter, I was fortunate to go on a whale watching tour to Virginia Beach.  I like to participate in regional guided bus tour packages because I totally get lost when going anywhere on my own they are a fun way to travel!  I met the bus early morning in Roanoke, Virginia.  Being overly excited about viewing whales,  I was the first person to arrive at our pick up site.  After a drive through the beautiful scenery of the Shenandoah Valley it seemed we were soon at the beach.  We had lunch on the way during which time I enjoyed a big chipped beef sandwich. This is probably too much information but I don't eat much red meat and it wasn't "sitting very well on my stomach."   Our tour guide had said the water might be too choppy to go out and see whales.  I was like, Choppy water be hanged!  Just get me on the boat!  That was the point where I should have taken some motion sickness medicine but because I had never been sick on a boat I thought it would be okay to chance it.

It seems like I misunderstood and it was actually the next day's brunch cruise that was questionable.  So, off we went to see the whales.  The group before us got there at the whales' feeding time and observed several interesting whale behaviors. We didn't see anything for a long time.  Then, we saw some whale backs!  And some whale spouts! I began smiling happily at the whales.  Unfortunately, I also began projectile vomiting around this time. I wasn't the only one getting sick but it was still unpleasant and embarrassing.  People were very kind. My tour guide wasn't around or didn't care but another tour guide brought me some wet tissues.  A nice family gave me some motion sickness medicine to put behind my ears.  A friend gave me a motion sickness tablet.  Most of the medicines went overboard.  Still, I was so happy to see the whales that it was a good overall experience.  Their backs were so cute, gray and blubbery as they rolled in the deep.  Their spouting made rainbows.  I really wanted to poke one and see how his skin felt. :)


That night, I walked downtown at Virginia Beach to buy  motion sickness medicine.  Snow started pouring down as the wind picked up.  I rarely visit the beach and to see it in snow was a treat. The thin covering of snow on the Virginia Beach statuary the next morning was especially noteworthy.
 



Waking up with an oceanfront view!


We went to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center early the next morning.  Several people asked, "Are you feeling better today?"  I thought it was a bit of a silly question since I had returned to my normal color and was walking around without spewing.  But the people were just being friendly and concerned so that was nice of them.
The aquarium was amazing.  I took this photograph.

A resident of the aquarium.


 I've never been a huge turtle fan but who can resist a smiling turtle?

The brunch cruise that day went well.  I took some motion sickness medicine to be on the safe side but it turned out to be a lovely smooth ride and a great meal.

In 2013, I am thinking about a repeat trip for more whale watching.  I am also thinking about a trip to Florida.  I haven't been there in about twenty-five years and would love to see the Everglades.






No comments:

Post a Comment