Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Visit to the Planetarium

Today, I visited the John C. Wells Planetarium at James Madison University where they offer two free shows most months. This month they are showing A Part of the Sky Called Orion and To Space and Back.  JMU students give an informative and entertaining star talk after each film.  I saw both films and heard two star talks today.  The first show was suited more to families with younger kids.  The second show was suitable for general audiences, but it was more of a feature for adults and older kids. Such is the show pattern on Saturdays at the planetarium.

The show on Orion told how three historic cultures interpreted the constellation Orion.  The folklore was pretty cool.  After the film the song I'm Coming Out played while the GOTO Chronos opto-mechanical star projector dramatically rose from its casing. Since I am internally seven years old, I thought this was THE BEST THING EVER!!!

Just look at that big purple bad boy!


We got to photograph it after the family star talk.

And check out this meteorite and its little push-pin pal (front) in their meteorite exhibit!

The To Space and Back show was especially interesting and well presented.  It gives a short overview of how space based and space influenced technology makes our lives better on Earth.  I really liked how this film made good use of the planetarium's shape to show enormous striking images.  I have been to a few planetarium shows that felt like watching a filmstrip under a dome- not this one though.  This one was a visual treat.

The star talks are fun as well.  Viewers learn how to find seasonal constellations.  This planetarium is also a great advocate for dark sky and less light pollution.

It was a great free thing for a dreary Saturday.  On some clear Saturdays, they set up the solar telescope; looking at the sun is also a great opportunity!  JMU also offers nighttime star observation parties.  While I have heard a good review of these, sadly, I have not yet attended one of their star parties.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting us this past weekend and for writing your review of our program! I'm always delighted to hear when people enjoy their visit to their local planetarium and leave wanting to come back again. :)

    Do you mind if I share your blog post on the John C. Wells Planetarium Facebook page? If you have a twitter account, I'd be happy to include it as well! :)

    Best Wishes,
    Shanil Virani, Planetarium Director

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Virani,

      Thank you for your nice comments! I do not have a Twitter account, but you are welcome to share my post on the Planetarium's Facebook page.

      Thanks again for stopping by my blog!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! I have been to planetariums two or three times (none around where I live, sadly :-( Would go more often if we had one nearby!), and those visits always were huge fun.

    ReplyDelete